-


Buildings- Continued

Auxiliary Service Buildings- Current and former

     
Building
Year
Remarks
1917
Now torn down.
1913
Razed 1930-40.
Animal Care Facility
1970
Torn down.
1856
In basement of the addition to County House, rebuilt 1890. Replaced by new bakery in 1905.
1905
Enlarged in 1917 and 1931. Used until operation ceased in 1960. Still stands today.
Cannery Building
1939
Torn down.
Carpenter Shop (one)
Unknown
Torn down to build Administration and Chapel 1887.
(two)
1891
Served as Carpenter Shop and Morgue until 1922.
(three)
1923
Torn down.
-
In 1910, bodies were moved for paving of Michigan Avenue.
-
Located south of Michigan Avenue. Used until late 1940's.
Cold Storage Plant
1917
Torn down.
Commissary Building
1936
Present structure.
Conservatory (one)
1897
Stood behind east wing of "E" Building.
(two)
1912
Enlarged in 1922, razed 1957.
1895
Former Asylum Laundry remodeled in 1929 and addition added in 1932.
Flammable Liquids
1915
Torn down.
Flammable Liquids (second)
1935-1936
-
Garages (one)
1915
North of "F" Building.
(two)
1923
Torn down 1928 for construction of "L" Building.
(three)
1929
Replaced 1934
(four)
1934
Torn down.
1886
Buildings added to original Heating Plant (1887).
1894
Torn down 1925.
Grounds Greenhouse
1912
Enlarged 1922 and in 1923. Razed 1957.
Dr. T.K. Gruber Memorial Auditorium
1940
-
Ice House (one)
1869
For County House. Torn down 1921.
(two)
1882
For asylum use. Destroyed by fire, 1921?
(three)
1903
For asylum use. Torn down, 1921.
1906
For County House. Torn down, 1921.
(five)
1915
Lake Ice House. Torn down, 1937.
Incinerator (one)
1911
Back of T.B. tents, torn down 1924.
(two)
1925
Torn down 1930.
(three)
1930
On flats north of Trestle, torn down 1936.
(four)
1931
Back of "N" Building.
(five)
1962
Part of "O" Building.
1922
To provide safe passage to farm area south of Michigan Avenue. Still can be found on south side of railroad tracks.
Asylum Laundry
1895
Remodeled 1929 for Fire Dept., extention added in 1931.
County House Laundry (one)
1897
Torn down 1931.
(two)
1916-1917
Torn down.
(three)
1960
Attached to "O" Building.
Perrinsville Cottage, power station, pumping station
1901
Sold to Hawthorne Country Club, 1927.
Pest House (one)
1858
Frame Building 1,500 ft. NW of County House, first used as School House.
(second)
1886
Used for storage, razed 1916.
1887
Electric Light Plant addition, 1894; Major additions 1901, 1915. Torn down 1924.
1924
Still stands today.
Pump House Reservior
1916
Replaced 1924.
Pumping Station (Softening Plant)
1924
Built adjacent to first reservior; Addition to house transformers 1931.
Unknown
Torn down 1931.
1886
In 1899, extended to Boiler House; razed around 1931.
Reservior between "N" and "P" Buildings
1930
Holds 1,500,000 gallons.
1858
Destroyed by fire in 1864.
1880
Torn down 1931.
Sewage Disposal Plant (one)
1896
1899 addition.
(two)
1917
1927 addition, use continued in 1934.
Smoking Room Building
1917
First used for male Infirmary patients. Razed 1969. Last used as paint shop and shoe repair shop.
Trolley Station (one)
1899
Moved in 1910 to back of T.B. Sanitorium and used for storage. Torn down 1936.
(two)
1911
Torn down 1931.
Water Tower
1907
Holds 50,000 gallons.
   
* - Present Structure | Pages will open in a new window

Farm Buildings

     
Buildings
Year
Remarks
County House Barn (one)
1841
Torn down 1886. Replaced by new County House barn.
(two)
1875
Located south of Michigan Avenue. Used for farm storage until 1940.
(three)
1886
Wings rebuilt 1901, silos added 1909. Torn down 1925 for "A" Building.
(four)
1924
Formerly called Dairy, Grain, and Horse Barn. Used for storage and paint shop.
Asylum Barn
1896
Torn down 1926 for new psychiatric building.
Root Cellar (one)
1884
Torn down 1922.
(two)
1935
-
(three)
1942
-
County House Piggery
1889
Torn down 1913, located north of County Barn.
Asylum Piggery (one)
1896
Located north of double residence on Asylum Farm. Torn down 1917.
(two)
1900
North of asylum barn yard.
(three)
1913
built near Merriman Road, torn down 1924 for Building "C."
Cement Piggeries
1917
Located 1/2 mile south of Michigan Avenue.
Large and Small Hen Houses
1904-1906
Torn down in 1924.
Concrete Storehouse
1913
Formerly used as piggery. Torn down in 1924 to make room for "H" Building.
Blacksmith Shop
1915
Destroyed by fire in 1919.
Piggery Cottage
1917
Swineherd's Cottage; Razed 1976.
Farm Greenhouse (one)
1917
Built just south of 1875 barn, south of Michigan Avenue. Torn down 1932.
(two)
1918
Built to the east of first greenhouse. Replaced by third greenhouse.
(three)
1932
Replaced first greenhouse, 1917, on its site.
(four)
1932
Built to the west of third greenhouse.
Farm Residence and Garage
1918
-
Greenhouse Barn
1876
Was the oldest remaining building on grounds, but has since been torn down.
Farm Tool Shed
1909
Razed 1931. Material used on east side of Dairy Barn.
Slaughter House
1928
Old piggery.
Tobacco Shed
1937
Destroyed by fire in 1975.
     
* - Present Structure | Pages will open in a new window

[ Location Maps ] [ Acreage Map ]

[ Back to page one Building Appendix ]